Pages

Sunday 17 May 2009

WolframAlpha is OK

After reading about all the hype of WolframAlpha over the past few days, I decided to give it a try. I tried accessing the site yesterday, but the system couldn't handle all of the requests and it was really slow. I managed to access it last night, and after ~30 minutes I concluded that it is no way a Google killer and that it was definitely over-hyped. I typed in the search term "St. John's Newfoundland population", and it did give the population, but that's it. A Google search gave me the answer plus much more and various videos and images. Interesting enough, I tried a the same search on Wolfram about 10 minutes ago to get the link for this post, but a system error occur. I really think that if your starting a new search engine, it should at least be working. It's going to take a lot to knock the search king/queen, Google, off it's crown. It's the hub of the internet, I use it for email, maps, docs, video, photo sharing, blogging, and on and on... WolframAlpha has potential, and certain groups of users are going to love it, but the general public will keep going back to Google.
 

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. So you asked Wolfram for a city's population and it gave you just that. That's pretty bad. It should have surely included a bunch of sites which you were rerquired to open and find the answer plus some garbage sites. That would have made you feel better!
    If you want additional info. just try searching for the city and you will get variety of relevant info. but no junk. Wolfram is no Google killer because its purpose is different. And what it does, it does better than google.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like having the option to click on additional info, which you refer to as Junk. Notice that nobody is talking about Wolfram anymore, I wonder what that means? I'm predicting a maximum 1% market share.

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger